Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Peanuts for Giants


Mediocrity. It's a word people don't use often. I think it scares them. Yet that it the state we're in now. Everyone is mediocre at best. Everyone is settling. Whether it's at their place of work, in their personal relationships, or the education. It's suddenly okay that your job is paying you way less than you deserve. It's okay that your partner had a one-night stand. It's okay that you got a C+ instead of a B+. Why?

It's a question I find myself asking continuously. Look at the economy. You want a job right? Then make one. Start a business! Now is the perfect time with the government throwing out money. Yet people seem hesitant to take that first step. Everyone is afraid of failure. The problem is that with failure comes experience, which is worth just as much as winning. Experience helps you fix the bad & keep the good.

I'm not saying be stupid. If you went to school for communication, don't think of opening a medical practice. I'm saying evaluate yourself, pick out your strong suits and find/create a job that is both appealing and attainable. You can do something well. Everyone can. Now you have to find something that caters to your best qualities.

Being subdued by mediocrity is not an option. It shows a lack of imagination or passion. What if slaves were happy just being clothed & fed? Yeah, that's an extreme, but it's the same concept. Being complacent leads to stagnation. A total stop. Contentment with things below your means, wants, desires, objections, and goals.

My mother told me people being complacent is what brought the economy to where it is now. I believe she's right. We're slaves to our fears. Arrested with terror. Selling our self-worth for way below the price. And the chains hold tight.

P.S. - I swear I'll blog more & read more blogs. Mainly because I'm bored at work. LOL

No comments: